• Follow The Advance online @KWUAdvance
  • »Make sure to check the Advance social media pages for updates
You Are Here: Home » News (Page 9)

The digital Playing field: E-sports comes to campus

eSports Kansas Wesleyan University junior Layne Shirley wants to build a KWU eSports Team. He started to make this dream a reality when he found out that Southwestern University offers some of their student’s $5000 scholarships to play video games on a team. Shirley met with Dr. Kraemer and Mark Bandre in admissions, and sold the idea so well that they immediately sent him to speak with President Thompson. ...

Read more

$1.5 million upgrade to campus Wi-Fi almost done.

[media-credit id=3 align="aligncenter" width="535"][/media-credit]Last semester, Sunflower Bank and Nex-Tech donated 1.5 million dollars to Kansas Wesleyan for a campus-wide technology infrastructure update. KWU’s Information Systems (I.S.) staff went to work quickly with Nex-Tech over the summer to help upgrade the Internet and Wi-Fi, which is set to be completed by December 31, 2015. “It’s a 14-18 month p ...

Read more

Student Government starts the year off with elections

With the new school year kicking off, Student Government is looking to elect its new representatives. New clubs are also finding their place among SGA: Multicultural club, Coyote Sports Network, News Desk, GRE club etc. Continuing to engage the students to attend events on campus and engage them in giving back to the community is a priority of SGA, led by Student Body President Kenny Diaz and Vice President ...

Read more

Bernie Sanders for free college

Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders wants to introduce a bill that would make public colleges and universities free, known as the "College For All Act. According to USA today “Under the plan, the Federal Government would cover 67% - $ 47 billion dollars each year – of the costs. States would be required to produce the remaining 33% of the costs, or 23 billion dollars.”  Many critics of the bill suggest th ...

Read more

This Kat has Claws: “Go Set a Watchman”

Since it’s publication in 1960, Harper Lee’s “To Kill a Mockingbird” has sold over 300 million copies world wide, been adapted into an award winning movie, and has placed Harper Lee at the top of American literature. So in July 2015 when the sequel to highly acclaimed book, “Go Set a Watchman,” was released the book managed to sell 1.1 million copies within its first week. “Go Set a Watchman” follows the st ...

Read more

Tuesday Night Alive

Student driven discipleship and grace is what it’s all about every Tuesday night in the Hauptli Student Activities Center, or SAC. Director of Spiritual Development Cameron Jackson, Logan Henry and other passionate leaders meet to host Tuesday Night Alive, a weekly worship service and message created for and by Kansas Wesleyan Students. Tuesday Night Alive is supported by Christian Challenge, an organizatio ...

Read more

“Leaving Iowa” heads to Kansas Wesleyan

As Kansas Wesleyan starts of the year with a new theater director, anticipation towards the upcoming play is increasing. The play "Leaving Iowa" by Tim Clue and Spike Manton, is a family-friendly comedy. It tells the tale of an eclectic family vacation with quite a few interesting adventures along the way. Senior Tim Burns, who plays the father in the show, stated: "I think it is a great show. It's really f ...

Read more

Welcome Back Coyotes

Homecoming is around the corner, fall sports are off to a quick start, and the school year is under way. Kansas Wesleyan’s campus has been busy all summer and now it is time to appreciate all the hard work that was put in during the proverbial “off season”. New additions to campus are complete: the hammocks by Pfeiffer hall, the picnic tables by Pioneer hall, and the new Graves Family Stadium which is almos ...

Read more

The band is hot… not a little but a lot!

Marching Band is one of the oldest activities in Universities, except at KWU. With the program being created last year, marching band is preparing for its second season of performances in the stands and on the field. The band has grown from 25 to 35 students, due to 10 transfer students attracted by KWU's new marching program. The band’s first practices of the year occur at band camp, which takes place one ...

Read more
Scroll to top