Let’s not talk politics.
Okay, we talk about politics a little: If you have ever picked up the paper before and read my name, you know political topics are not something I shy away from. I originally came to KWU to be a pre-law major and hopefully, get into politics. Even after I realized reading all those law documents was not for me and switching my major, I still kept my political science minor for a while because I love politics.
However, even I am growing tired of the non-stop political clutter on my Facebook page. At this point, I am unable to even have a decent conversation with someone without “President Trump” coming up somewhere in the conversation. It’s gotten so bad I do not even want to participate in many political discussions, but at the same time: Do we talk about anything but politics anymore?
Not only do I not want to always talk politics, but can we seriously take a break from all the depressing news. I am the first person in line to say this is information you need to know, you need to be aware of what is going on in the world or you have become blind to the system. So yes, the bad and sad political news is important, but if you fail to look at other news every once in awhile, you may begin to go crazy as a human being. So instead of a politics: here is a list of 15 good things happening in the world.
1. According to Cancer.org, Cancer rates have fallen about 20%.
2. Robots are being created to help kids with mental disabilities learn how to actively communicate with others. (Even better: Kansas Wesleyan is working on)
3. According to the US department of Defense, veteran homelessness has dropped 50%
4. The tiger population is starting to rise again according to worldwildlife.org. (Fun fact: so are pandas and manatees)
5. Last year, the world’s largest marine reserve was created.
6. Educationnet.org shows statistics proving that high school graduation is on the rise after years of an increasing dropout rate.
7. Pew Research showed statistics that prove that teen pregnancy rate is decreasing
8. Pokemon Go came out, and tons of children across the world were placing lure modules around hospitals so sick kids could play too.
9. “Beauty and the Beast” is coming out.
10. Bob Ross got a Youtube channel
11. The United Nations Scientist said that the ozone layer is starting to show signs of healing.
12. The world life expectancy rate has increased by six years.
13. The Labor department said that unemployment in the US is decreasing.
14. We had a spacecraft reach Jupiter and another one was able to reach Pluto.
15. The ice bucket challenge actually helped people with ALS because scientists have found a gene that links to ALS and therefore one step closer to finding a cure.